The aims of the new Nordic Kitchen are:
- To express the purity, freshness, simplicity, and ethics we wish to associate with our region.
- To reflect the changes of the seasons in the meal we make.
- To base our cooking on ingredients and produce whose characteristics are particularly in our climates, landscapes, and waters.
- To combine the demand for good taste with modern knowledge of health and well-being.
- To promote Nordic products and the variety of Nordic producers - and to spread the word about their underlying cultures.
- To promote animal welfare and a sound production process in our seas, on our farmland, and in the wild.
- To develop potentially new applications of traditional Nordic food products.
- To combine the best in Nordic cookery and culinary traditions with impulses from abroad.
- To combine local self-sufficiency with regional sharing of high-quality products.
- To join forces with consumer representatives, other cooking craftsmen, agriculture, fishing, food, retail, and wholesales industries, researchers, teachers, politicians, and authorities on this project for the benefit and advantage of everyone in the Nordic countries.
Zachery Skiver is the Executive Chef at the Valkyrie Restaurant. Chef Skiver is responsible for all aspects of the menu from concept to creation, farm to table. Chef Skiver is also responsible for all sourcing of ingredients, making seasonal menus to adjust for seasonal availability. He is also in charge of the entire kitchen staff, training, and vendor/farmer relations as well as budgeting. Chef Skiver is a West Michigan native having grown up on the NW side of Grand Rapids. He began working in kitchens at an early age and has performed every task in a commercial kitchen from dishwasher to Sous Chef. Chef Skiver earned his Culinary Arts degree from the Seccia Institute for Culinary Education and has worked in numerous markets in Michigan before coming to the Valkyrie as Executive Chef. Chef Skiver has a passion for food, culture and people and a talent for blending them all to create a unique dining experience. Chef Skiver has numerous interests outside of the Culinary Arts some of which are animation, memes, comic strips, heavy metal music, reading non-fiction, video games, guitar, computer technology, and delving into anything he takes an interest in. Chef Skiver has been married to his wife Angela for 16 years and they enjoy traveling and adventure together.