The Valkyrie in Muskegon, MI specializes in New Nordic Cuisine - a combination of local foods with touches of Scandanavian flavors. We seek to employ the elements of the Nordic Kitchen Manifesto, which was conceived and formulated in 2004 and summarised in ten points that address purity, seasoning, ethics, health, sustainability, and quality.
The aims of the new Nordic Kitchen are:
- To express the purity, freshness, simplicity, and ethics we wish to associate with our region.
- To reflect the changes of the seasons in the meal we make.
- To base our cooking on ingredients and produce whose characteristics are particularly in our climates, landscapes, and waters.
- To combine the demand for good taste with modern knowledge of health and well-being.
- To promote Nordic products and the variety of Nordic producers - and to spread the word about their underlying cultures.
- To promote animal welfare and a sound production process in our seas, on our farmland, and in the wild.
- To develop potentially new applications of traditional Nordic food products.
- To combine the best in Nordic cookery and culinary traditions with impulses from abroad.
- To combine local self-sufficiency with regional sharing of high-quality products.
- To join forces with consumer representatives, other cooking craftsmen, agriculture, fishing, food, retail, and wholesales industries, researchers, teachers, politicians, and authorities on this project for the benefit and advantage of everyone in the Nordic countries.